701 Jackson Street
Phone: (252) 533-2849
Fax: (252) 533-2803
Monday-Thursday 7:30am-5:00pm and Friday 7:30am-12:00pm
Thomas Goble, Senior Center Supervisor
Crystal Burgess, Bus Driver
Jesse Shotwell, Administrative Assistant
Janice Dickerson, Administrative Assistant
- Mondays - Healthy BINGO - 8:45 a.m.
- Mondays - Knitting - 1:00 p.m.
- Mondays (1st & 3rd) - Optimist Club - 6:00 p.m.
- Mondays (2nd) - Movie Mondays - 2:00 p.m.
- Tuesdays - Tai Chi I - 11:00 a.m.
- Tuesdays - Group Fitness - 11:00 a.m.
- Tuesdays (3rd) - Diabetes Support - 11:00 a.m.
- Wednesdays - Group Exercise - 11:00 a.m.
- Wednesdays - BINGO - 1:30 p.m. (Lloyd Andrews Bldg.)
- Wednesdays (1st) - Women’s Ministerial Association - 10:00 a.m.
- Wednesdays (3rd) - Family Care Support - 12:30 p.m.
- Thursdays - Tai Chi II - 11:00 a.m.
- Thursdays - Crocheting - 1:00p.m.
- Thursdays (2nd) - Grief Support - 2:00 p.m.
- Thursdays (2nd) - Roanoke Valley Quilters' Guild - Board 6:00 pm, Meeting 7:00
- Fridays (starting in March) - Yoga 8:30 a.m.
- Fridays - Wii Bowling - 9:00 a.m.
DATES TO REMEMBER
- January 2 - Center Closed New Years
- January 16 - Closed MLK Day
- January 19 - Game Day - 1:30pm
- January 23 - Senior Advisory Meeting - 12:15pm
- January 24 - Health Care Power of Attorney/Living Wills Seminar - 2:30 - 4pm
- January 27 - Open House 9 - 11am
- February 2 - Soup and Sandwich Dinner 5 - 7pm
- February 22 - Health Screening 10am - 12noon
- March 15 - Game Day - 1:30 pm
- March 16 - Health Screening 10am - 12noon
- April 10 - Senior Advisory Meeting - 12:15pm
- April 11 - Health Screening 10am - 12noon
- April 13 - Senior Easter Egg Hunt & Lunch - 11 am
- April 14 - Center Closed Easter
- April 20 - Roanoke Valley Senior Expo - Kirkwood 9am - 2pm
- May 10 - Health Screening 10am - 12noon
- May 11 - Spring Luncheon - 11 am
- May 18 - Game Day - 1:30 pm
- May 29 - Senior Center Closed Memorial Day
Senior's Health Insurance Information Counseling
Senior Health Insurance Information Program (SHIIP) Counseling is available throughout the year. People approaching Medicare enrollment or experiencing problems with understanding payment of medical bills should call the Jo Story Senior Center at 533-2849 to schedule an individual appointment for SHIIP Counseling.
Transportation is provided by the Jo Story Senior Center for people 60 years old or older living within the City of Roanoke Rapids or within one mile of the city. The individual must have designated need for transportation assistance as determined through an application process. Transportation is provided for grocery shopping, general shopping, congregate nutrition, and activities sponsored by the senior center. Call the senior center to obtain an application.
The following support groups meet monthly at the senior center: Care Giver Support Group 3rd Wed. 12:30 pm; Diabetes Support Group 3rd Tues. 11 am; Grief Support Group 2nd Thur. at 2pm. Please call the senior center at 252-533-2849 for additional information and to receive the free senior center newsletter.