CALENDAR OF UPCOMING MEETINGS
(All City meetings are open to the public)
Monday, February 18, 2019 at 5:30 p.m.
in the Lloyd Andrews City Meeting Hall
Tuesday, February 19, 2019 at 5:15 p.m.
in the Lloyd Andrews City Meeting Hall
PUBLIC HEARING NOTICE
Notice is hereby given that the Roanoke Rapids Board of Adjustment will hold a quasi-judicial* public hearing on Thursday, February 21, 2019 at 5:30 p.m. at the Lloyd Andrews City Meeting Hall located at 700 Jackson Street, Roanoke Rapids, NC to hear the following item:
An Application for an Appeal of a Decision by the Land Use Administrator* filed in response to the issuance of site development plan zoning approval letter, dated January 25, 2019 for the construction of a Dollar General commercial retail store at 80 West 8th Street (previously referred to as 735 Roanoke Ave. – building now demolished).
Appeal is requested to the requirements of the Roanoke Rapids Land Use Ordinance (zoning code):
- Section 151-6 Relationship to the Land Use Plan;
- Section 151-136 Commercial Districts Established;
- Section 151-147 Board of Adjustment Jurisdiction Over Uses Otherwise Permissible with a Zoning Permit; and
- Section 151-148 Permissible Uses and Specific Exclusions.
* A quasi-judicial hearing must be based on evidence which would be admissible in a court of law. Once the Administrator makes the showing that the standards have been met, the burden shifts to those who oppose permit issuance to present countervailing substantial, competent, and material evidence that the standards would not be met.
Related information is available for public inspection in the Planning and Development office at the J. Reuben Daniel City Hall, 1040 Roanoke Avenue. Any persons, firms, organizations or corporations interested in this matter are urged to attend the meeting.
The City of Roanoke Rapids will provide reasonable accommodations and services for any qualified disabled person interested in attending the meeting. To request the above you may call the Planning and Development Office at (252) 533-2844 no later than three (3) days prior to the date of the meeting.
City of Roanoke Rapids Now Requires a Business Registration Certificate
Changes to legislation that regulates privilege licenses in 2015 severely impacted the city’s ability to maintain accurate demographic and contact information regarding businesses that operate within the city limits. This information is crucial for Roanoke Rapids Fire and Police Departments so that they can respond to emergencies and conduct fire and safety inspections as required by the State of North Carolina.
Effective July 1, 2016, all businesses engaged in or conducting business within the city limits will be required to obtain a Business Registration Certificate from the City of Roanoke Rapids Tax Department. This certificate will be valid from July 1, 2018 through June 30, 2019 and must be renewed annually. The cost to obtain a registration certificate is $20 for all businesses.
Authorized by the N. C. General Assembly and the Roanoke Rapids City Council, this requirement helps City officials achieve several very important objectives:
- To promote public health, safety, and welfare, and to continue to monitor business activity within the city limits.
- Rapids city limits. Equipped with this information, City officials are able to take steps to ensure that businesses locate and operate in areas that are properly zoned for the particular type of business conducted.
- To provide accurate information regarding local businesses to Police, Fire, 911, county tax authorities and citizens.
In addition to complying with city regulations, businesses benefit from being registered with the City in several other ways. Many banks and lenders require proof that a business is valid to open an account or secure a loan. Potential clients or customers often need assurance that the business is legitimate and properly registered. Having a registered business can make you eligible to receive supplier discounts that you would not receive otherwise. Obtaining a Business Registration Certificate allows a business to satisfy all of these needs.
For more information, please review the Roanoke Rapids Code of Ordinances Title XI: Chapter 118: Business Regulations on the city website at www.roanokerapidsnc.com.
Business owners are urged to download an application from the city website (under Downloads/Tax) or stop by the tax office of City Hall at 1040 Roanoke Avenue. In 2018, renewal applications will be mailed to businesses in June and will be due by July 1.
Itinerant Merchants and Peddlers Must Obtain Permit from City of Roanoke Rapids
Effective July 1, 2016, all itinerant merchants and peddlers conducting business within the city limits will be required to obtain a Permit from the City of Roanoke Rapids Tax Department. This certificate will be valid from July 1, 2018 through June 30, 2019 and must be renewed annually. The cost to obtain this permit is $20.
A reflective safety vest will be required for any individual peddling goods from place to place. The individual must supply his/her own safety vest.
North Carolina general statutes allow local governments to adopt ordinances that regulate, restrict or prohibit the activities of businesses that operate within the city limits. This authority helps City officials in their efforts to:
- Protect the public from fraud or other crimes by monitoring and regulating transient business activity within the city limits.
- Maintain the health, safety and welfare of the public and protect citizens from undue invasions of privacy, annoyance or harassment.
- Ensure that businesses locate and operate in areas that are properly zoned for the particular type of business being conducted.
This permit does not apply to any bona fide charitable, educational, religious, cultural or governmental institution or organization when the proceeds of the sales are used directly for the charitable purpose of said institution or organization.
For more information, please review Roanoke Rapids Code of Ordinances Title XI: Chapter 119: Itinerant Merchants, Peddlers and Vendors on the city website at www.roanokerapidsnc.com.
Business owners are urged to download an application from the city website (under Downloads/Tax) or stop by the tax office of City Hall at 1040 Roanoke Avenue.
PRESS RELEASE - RECYCLING CONTAINER
The City of Roanoke Rapids now has a recycling container at the Public Works facility located at 1313 Hinson Street. The public will have 24-hour access to this facility for combined recyclable materials.
For more information, contact the Public Works Department at (252) 533-2846.
COMMITTEE VACANCIES: Contact Traci Storey, City Clerk, at 533-2840 for committee information.
- Beautification Committee
- Historic Preservation Advisory Committee
- Planning Board/Board of Adjustment (In-Town & ETJ Member)
- Senior Center Advisory Committee