Login Form

Main 252-533-2800
Hours Mon - Fri 8:30AM - 5:00PM

Q: Do I need to obtain a building permit to put up a small out-building in my yard?

A: Maybe, depending on its size, cost and type construction. Every zoning classification has specific setbacks that must be set. Give us a call prior to starting any construction activities to make sure proper setbacks are maintained.

Q: Do I need a permit to install a swimming pool in my yard?

A: Yes, in most cases. Only small kiddie pools do not require a permit. Larger pools require a building permit as well as an electrical permit if a filtration system is to be used.

Q: Is a vehicle not displaying a current license plate considered junk?

A: No. Only if the vehicle is dismantled, wrecked and cannot move under its own power is it considered junk.

Q: Do I need to obtain a permit to put up a fence?

A: Yes. A Zoning permit is required prior to the installation of a fence. Additional specific guidelines which must be followed are also available from the Planning Department.

Q: Does a foundation footing need to be inspected by a Building Inspector prior to pouring concrete?

A: Yes. Various phases of construction must be inspected prior to proceeding further. Brochures are available from the Code Enforcement Section detailing specifics.

Q: How far does an accessory building, such as a shed or garage, have to be from the property line?

A: As a general rule, three(3) feet from any property line not a street right-of-way line. For specific information concerning your situation call the Planning Office at (252) 533-2844.

Q: What do I have to do to use an existing building to open a new business?

A: Contact the City Planning & Development Department and schedule an inspection of your proposed site. Upon successful evaluation, a Business Use Permit may be issued subject to the submittal of plans, obtaining other necessary licenses, permits, etc.

Q: Does the City assign E-911 addresses in its Extra Territorial Jurisdiction area?

A: Addresses assignment requests may be directed to the City Planning Department. We will provide an assignment following coordination with the Halifax County Planning Department (252) 583-4891. 

Q: If I apply for rezoning, special use permit or conditional use permit and it is not approved, will the application fee of $350.00 be returned to me?

A: No. The application fee covers charges for items such as advertising, postage, notices, etc., that are mandated by North Carolina General Statute.

Q: Do I need a permit to install a driveway or driveway pipe?

A: Yes. Anytime a driveway apron or driveway pipe is to be placed on the street right-of-way, a permit is necessary from the Public Works Department, (252) 533-2846. The placement of similar items on State maintained roads also necessitates a permit from the State Department of Transportation in Halifax, NC, 252-583-4230.

Q: Does my yard go all the way to the back of the curb?

A: No. Generally, there is an area reserved behind the curb that is used for the placement of utilities and sidewalks that belongs to the City. No structure may be placed on this area.

Q: How do I obtain a permit to install a septic tank?

A: Obtain and complete a Zoning Statement from the City Planning Department. Present the statement to the Halifax County Health Department, (252) 583-5021, and a field inspection will be scheduled. If the results of the field inspection are positive, a septic permit permit may be issued.

Leaf Collection Notification

  • Leaf Collection

    The Property Maintenance Department collects loose leaves November - February. Crews work an assigned route and cannot take special requests or special arrangements. Loose leaf piles should be placed behind the curb or edge of pavement without blocking the sidewalk or street. Do not rake or blow...

    Read More …