701 Jackson Street
Phone: (252) 533-2849
Fax: (252) 533-2803
Monday-Thursday 7:30am-5:00pm and Friday 7:30am-12:00pm
Thomas Goble, Senior Center Supervisor
Crystal Burgess, Bus Driver
Jesse Shotwell, Administrative Assistant
Janice Dickerson, Administrative Assistant
- Mondays - Healthy BINGO - 8:45 a.m.
- Mondays - Knitting - 1:00 p.m.
- Mondays (1st & 3rd) - Optimist Club - 6:00 p.m.
- Mondays (2nd) - Movie Mondays - 2:00 p.m.
- Tuesdays - Tai Chi I - 11:00 a.m.
- Tuesdays - Group Fitness - 11:00 a.m.
- Tuesdays (3rd) - Diabetes Support - 11:00 a.m.
- Wednesdays - Group Exercise - 11:00 a.m.
- Wednesdays - BINGO - 1:30 p.m. (Lloyd Andrews Bldg.)
- Wednesdays (1st) - Women’s Ministerial Association - 10:00 a.m.
- Wednesdays (3rd) - Family Care Support - 12:30 p.m.
- Thursdays - Tai Chi II - 11:00 a.m.
- Thursdays - Crocheting - 1:00p.m.
- Thursdays (2nd) - Grief Support - 2:00 p.m.
- Thursdays (2nd) - Roanoke Valley Quilters' Guild - Board 6:00 pm, Meeting 7:00
- Fridays (starting in March) - Yoga 9:30 a.m.
- Fridays - Wii Bowling - 9:00 a.m.
DATES TO REMEMBER
- June 29 - Hypertension Seminar 1pm
July 4 - Center Closed Fourth of July
July 6 - Patriotic Picnic 11:30am
July 10 - Senior Advisory Meeting 12:15pm
July 11 - Health Screening 10am-12noon
July 20 - Game Time 1:30pm
July 25 - Living Wills Clinic 2:30pm
August 16 - Health Screening 10am-12noon
September 4 - Center Closed Labor Day
September 14 - Health Screening 10am-12noon
September 21 - Game Time 1:30pm
October 9 - Senior Advisory Meeting 12:15pm
October 10 - Health Screening 10am-12noon
October 16 - December 7 - SHIIP Counseling by Appointment
November 10 - Center Closed Veterans Day
November 15 - Health Screening 10am-12noon
November 17 - Game Time 1:30pm
November 23 - 24 - Center Closed Thanksgiving Holiday
December 14 - Health Screening 10am-12noon
December 26 - 27 - Center Closed Christmas Holiday
Senior's Health Insurance Information Counseling
Senior Health Insurance Information Program (SHIIP) Counseling is available throughout the year. People approaching Medicare enrollment or experiencing problems with understanding payment of medical bills should call the Jo Story Senior Center at 533-2849 to schedule an individual appointment for SHIIP Counseling.
Transportation is provided by the Jo Story Senior Center for people 60 years old or older living within the City of Roanoke Rapids or within one mile of the city. The individual must have designated need for transportation assistance as determined through an application process. Transportation is provided for grocery shopping, general shopping, congregate nutrition, and activities sponsored by the senior center. Call the senior center to obtain an application.
The following support groups meet monthly at the senior center: Care Giver Support Group 3rd Wed. 12:30 pm; Diabetes Support Group 3rd Tues. 11 am; Grief Support Group 2nd Thur. at 2pm. Please call the senior center at 252-533-2849 for additional information and to receive the free senior center newsletter.