701 Jackson Street
Phone: (252) 533-2849
Fax: (252) 533-2803
Monday-Thursday 7:30am-5:00pm and Friday 7:30am-12:00pm
Thomas Goble, Senior Center Supervisor
Crystal Burgess, Bus Driver
Janice Dickerson, Administrative Assistant
- Mondays - Healthy BINGO - 8:45 a.m.
- Mondays - Knitting - 1:00 p.m.
- Mondays (1st & 3rd) - Optimist Club - 6:00 p.m.
- Mondays (2nd) - Movie Mondays - 2:00 p.m.
- Tuesdays - Tai Chi I - 11:00 a.m.
- Tuesdays - Group Fitness - 11:00 a.m.
- Tuesdays (3rd) - Diabetes Support - 11:00 a.m.
- Wednesdays - Group Exercise - 11:00 a.m.
- Wednesdays - BINGO - 1:30 p.m. (Lloyd Andrews Bldg.)
- Wednesdays (1st) - Women’s Ministerial Association - 10:00 a.m.
- Wednesdays (3rd) - Family Care Support - 12:30 p.m.
- Thursdays - Tai Chi II - 11:00 a.m.
- Thursdays - Crocheting - 1:00p.m.
- Thursdays (2nd) - Grief Support - 2:00 p.m.
- Thursdays (2nd) - Roanoke Valley Quilters' Guild - Board 6:00 pm, Meeting 7:00
- Fridays - Yoga 10:00 a.m.
- Fridays - Wii Bowling - 9:00 a.m.
DATES TO REMEMBER
January 1 - Center Closed New Years
January 14 - Senior Advisory Meeting - 12:15pm
January 21 - Center Closed MLK Day
January 22 - Power of Attorney/Living Wills Clinic - 2pm
January 17 - Game Day - 1:30pm
February 28 - Stew & Sandwich Dinner 4:30 - 6:30pm
March 14 - Game Day - 1:30 pm
April 8 - Senior Advisory Meeting - 12:15pm
April 18 - Senior Easter Egg Hunt & Lunch - 11am
April 19 - Center Closed Easter
April 25 - RV Senior Expo - Kirkwood - 9am - 2pm
May 16 - Spring Luncheon - 11:00 am
May 16 - Game Day - 1:30pm
May 27 - Center Closed Memorial Day
July 4 - Center Closed Fourth of July
July 9 - Senior Advisory Meeting - 12:15pm
Senior Health Insurance Information Counseling
Senior Health Insurance Information Program (SHIIP) Counseling is available throughout the year. People approaching Medicare enrollment or experiencing problems with understanding payment of medical bills should call the Jo Story Senior Center at 533-2849 to schedule an individual appointment for SHIIP Counseling.
Transportation is provided by the Jo Story Senior Center for people 60 years old or older living within the City of Roanoke Rapids or within two miles of the city. The individual must have designated need for transportation assistance as determined through an application process. Transportation is provided to the senior center or for grocery shopping, general shopping, congregate nutrition, and activities sponsored by the senior center. Call the senior center to obtain an application.
The following support groups meet monthly at the senior center: Care Giver Support Group 3rd Wed. 12:30 pm; Diabetes Support Group 3rd Tues. 11 am; Grief Support Group 2nd Thur. at 2pm. Please call the senior center at 252-533-2849 for additional information and to receive the free senior center newsletter.