Login Form

Main 252-533-2800
Hours Mon - Fri 8:30AM - 5:00PM

BE IT RESOLVED by the City Council of the City of Roanoke Rapids that the following policies apply to the collection and disposal of sanitation items including but not limited to yard waste, junk, leaves, white and brown goods, refuse:

I. Once A Week Sanitation Collection

It is the intent of the Public Works Department to collect all sanitation items on the same day that your rollout is collected. The City charges a residential solid waste fee of $285.00 per residential unit per year. The components of this fee are: rollout cart collection and disposal, yard waste collection, junk collection, leaf collection, white and brown goods collection and refuse disposal . This fee is set by City Council and may change annually.

A. Solid Waste Rollout Collection

  • Residential household solid waste rollouts are collected once per week. Collection days are Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday. One (1) 96-gallon rollout is assigned to the residence NOT TO THE OCCUPANT. If an additional cart is needed then the home owner can purchase one additional cart at the cost of $61.39 or current price. Also with the purchase of an additional cart, there will be an annual charge of $285.00 for the disposal of the solid waste at the transfer station.
  • Business rollout carts—small businesses that do not generate enough waste for a dumpster will be allowed to purchase up to two (2) rollouts at $61.39 per cart or current price. One cart will be charged a monthly collection and disposal fee of $40.00. Each additional rollout will be charged $40.00 per month.
  • Place your rollout cart at curbside (behind the edge of curb and gutter or edge of pavement) prior to 6:00 a.m. on your scheduled collection day. Remove the cart from the curb by midnight on the day of collection.
  • Place the rollout cart at curbside—not in the street—for collection. The cart should be placed away from obstacles such as automobiles, mailboxes, yard waste, bulky items and telephone poles.
  • Place the rollout cart at curbside with the lid opening toward the street and handles of the cart toward the residence to avoid damage to the lid.
  • The City may need to designate where rollout carts are to be placed by residents in order to provide safe and efficient service. Residences on corner lots will be collected from the street locations considered most serviceable for collection crews and equipment.
  • Place only household garbage and household waste inside your rollout cart. Break down bulky items such as boxes so that all waste will fit inside the cart.
  • The City will not pick up excess solid waste placed next to the rollout cart. Solid waste will only be collected in approved 96-gallon rollout carts. If an additional cart is required, please call the Public Works Department for details on how to purchase one. The City will allow for excess solid waste around carts during special situations such as Christmas and moving.
  • City crews will collect roll-outs at the "back door" of the residence for the elderly or for a physical disability. To receive this service the City will require a note from a doctor. Call the Public Works Department for details.
  • The City will make every effort to collect your roll-out during inclement weather, however if the landfill and/or transfer station is closed, the City cannot collect solid waste or yard waste. The City will notify all media outlets of the changes.

Do not place the following items in your rollout carts:

  • Dead Animals
  • Hot Ashes
  • Loose Sawdust
  • Yard Waste
  • Motor Oil
  • Wet Paint
  • Animal Waste
  • Human Waste
  • Flammable Liquids
  • Unprepared Medical Waste
  • Other Hazardous Materials

Building materials are not considered residential solid waste and will not be collected once per week. Building materials generated by a private contractor will not be collected. Building materials generated by the homeowner as a result of remodeling or repair can be collected by the Public Works crews for a service fee. Examples of building materials we do not collect weekly AND WILL REQUIRE A SERVICE FEE ARE:

  • Lumber
  • Bricks
  • Concrete
  • Roofing Materials/ Shingles
  • Sheetrock/Plaster/Wallboard

B. Yard Waste and Limb Collection

  • Yard waste consists of grass, weeds, leaves, pine straw, tree trimmings and pruning, limbs and shrubbery that result from homeowner maintenance of yards and gardens.
  • A different collection crew will collect yard waste that is properly prepared and/or containerized in compliance with City regulations on the same day that your rollout is collected.
  • Yard waste crews will not collect limbs, logs, and stumps larger than 12" in diameter or 8 foot in length. For pickup of limbs, logs and stumps that exceed 12" in diameter and/or 8 foot in length, residents must call 533-2846 and request for the Sanitation Supervisor to inspect and determine if the City crews can collect the items.
  • Tree and shrub trimmings resulting from work performed by a contractor (anyone you pay to do the work) will not be collected. The contractor will be responsible for removal and disposal of this debris.
  • The City will not pick up materials resulting from land clearing, landscaping or large improvement projects involving large or multiple tree and/or stump removal.
  • Place all leaves, grass clippings, weeds, and pine straw in a container (boxes or bags) for collection at the curb by 6:00 a.m. on your collection day. Bags used for yard waste disposal should be left with top untied so that the driver can see that it is yard waste only.
  • Yard waste must be containerized or properly prepared and placed at curbside for collection on the resident's property, not in the street.
  • The City will not pick up yard waste from vacant lots or in front of vacant lots, or abandoned structures unless the property owner is paying the annual solid waste fee for that abandoned structure.
  • The City will not pick up yard waste from commercial establishments.
  • The City will not pick up yard waste from multi-family locations unless they are paying the solid waste annual fee per unit.

C. Junk and Brown Goods Collection---Junk and brown goods collection is provided weekly to residents who have large items that are too large to be collected by roll-out cart crews.

Items collected are:

  • Furniture/Mattresses and Box Springs
  • Windows/Mirrors (with glass taped and "X" marked on both sides so that it does not shatter when collected)
  • Lawn Equipment (drain oil and gas from discarded lawn mowers and weed eaters)
  • Automobile Tires
  • Carpet/Flooring
  • Plumbing /Electrical Materials
  • Car parts
  • Items not collected are:
  • Closed containers (such as oil drums)
  • Propane tanks
  • Hazardous/flammable materials
  • Chain link fence
  • Wire fence
  • Building materials (fees to collect)
  • Junk and brown goods should be placed away from automobiles, mailboxes, fences, low hanging wires or limbs, or other items which might hamper collection.
  • The City will not pick up bulk junk and brown goods from commercial establishments.
  • The City will not pick up junk or brown goods from multi-family locations unless they are paying the solid waste annual fee per unit
  • Collection of excessive junk will require a service fee.

D. White Goods (Appliance) Collection

  • White goods collection from residences is provided on the same day your rollouts are collected.
  • White goods collection is provided for residences and not for businesses. Multi-family establishments who are paying the solid waste annual fee per unit will receive the white goods collection.
  • We collect:
  • Stoves
  • Ovens
  • Refrigerators (remove doors or place face down)
  • Dishwashers
  • Washers/Dryers
  • Hot Water Heaters
  • Microwaves
  • Gas and Oil Heaters
  • White goods must be emptied and placed at the curb for collection.
  • White goods must be separated from other waste. White goods should be placed away from automobiles, mailboxes, fences, low hanging limbs and wires or other items which might hamper collection.

E. Dead Animals

  • Small dead animals (cats, dogs, small household pets) must be placed in a securely tied plastic bag at the curbside for collection. Do not place dead animals in your rollout cart
  • To request collection of dead animals, call 533-2846.

F. Loose Leaf Collection

  • The Property Maintenance Division collects loose leaves during November, December, January and February. Residents may rake leaves to the curb during these months, not into the street or in the ditch. Back alley collection will only take place at the end of the leaf season.

G. Holiday Schedule

    • Residents will receive household rollout collection during each holiday week. Yard waste, junk and brown goods, and white goods collection may be suspended during holiday weeks.
    • Household rollout solid waste and refuse collection schedules will be adjusted for the following holidays:
    • New Year's Day
    • Martin Luther King, Jr. Day
    • Good Friday
    • Memorial Day
    • Independence Day
    • Labor Day
    • Columbus Day
    • Veteran's Day
    • Thanksgiving (Thursday and Friday)
    • Christmas Holidays (depending on which day Christmas Day falls on)
    • Changes to your scheduled collection day during these holidays will be announced through newspaper articles, radio and local TV.

II. Effective Date

This policy shall become effective October 1, 2006.

ADOPTED this 12th day of September, 2006.

Drewery N. Beale, Mayor


Lisa B. Vincent, City Clerk

Leaf Collection Notification

  • Leaf Collection

    The Property Maintenance Department collects loose leaves November - February. Crews work an assigned route and cannot take special requests or special arrangements. Loose leaf piles should be placed behind the curb or edge of pavement without blocking the sidewalk or street. Do not rake or blow...

    Read More ...