NOTICE OF CHANGE IN REGULAR MEETING SCHEDULE
ROANOKE RAPIDS CITY COUNCIL
The regular business meeting schedule for the Roanoke Rapids City Council has been amended as follows:
City Council shall meet the first and third Tuesdays of each month at 5:15 p.m. at the Lloyd Andrews City Meeting Hall at 700 Jackson Street.
Notice of changes in meetings shall be posted on the primary bulletin board at City Hall.
City of Roanoke Rapids
By: Lisa B. Vincent, MMC, NCCMC, City Clerk
NOTICE OF PUBLIC HEARINGS
Roanoke Rapids City Council
Notice is hereby given that the Roanoke Rapids City Council will hold public hearings at a meeting to be held on Tuesday, August 18, 2015 at 5:15 p.m. at the Lloyd Andrews City Meeting Hall at 700 Jackson Street to hear the following matters:
1. A Conditional Use Permit Request from TAVLOWE, Inc. DBA Crestview Memorial Cemetery (Applicant) and Phillip Moncure (Property Owner) to amend a Conditional Use Permit dated March 2005 for the Cross Creek Planned Unit Development (PUD). The proposed amendment to the Conditional Use Permit includes the subdivision of approximately 11+/- acres of property located along Smith Church Road extending east towards the creek (portion of Halifax County Parcel 1205725). The property is currently vacant, wooded land. The applicant requests the subdivision from the PUD map to move forward with a proposal to rezone the property and expand the existing, adjacent Crestview Memorial Cemetery.
2. A Rezoning Request from TAVLOWE, Inc. DBA Crestview Memorial Cemetery (Applicant) and Phillip Moncure (Property Owner) to amend the City of Roanoke Rapids Official Zoning Map to change the zoning classification of property located along Smith Church Road extending east towards the creek (portion of Halifax County Parcel 1205725). The requested zoning map amendment is from PUD R-12 Residential District and PUD B-4 Commercial District to R-40 Residential District.
3. A Conditional Use Permit Request from TAVLOWE, Inc. DBA Crestview Memorial Cemetery (Applicant) and Phillip Moncure (Property Owner) to develop a cemetery located adjacent to Crestview Memorial Cemetery. The property is approximately 10+/- acres along Smith Church Road extending east towards the creek (portion of Halifax County Parcel 1205725). The property is currently vacant, wooded land.
Related information is available for public inspection in the Planning & Development office at the J. Reuben Daniel City Hall, 1040 Roanoke Avenue. Any persons, firms, organizations or corporations interested in these matters are urged to attend the meeting.
The City of Roanoke Rapids will provide reasonable accommodations and services for any qualified disabled person interested in attending the meeting. To request the above, you may call the City Clerk's Office at (252) 533-2840 no later than three (3) days prior to the date of the meeting.
CALENDAR OF UPCOMING MEETINGS
(All City meetings are open to the public)
Senior Center Advisory Committee
Monday, July 27, 2015 at 12:00 p.m. at Jo Story Senior Center
PRESS RELEASE - RECYCLING CONTAINER
The City of Roanoke Rapids now has a recycling container at the Public Works facility located at 1313 Hinson Street. The public will have 24-hour access to this facility for combined recycable materials.
For more information, contact the Public Works Department at (252) 533-2846.
PRESS RELEASE - SWIMMING POOL BARRIERS
Given the recent changes in local weather conditions, the City of Roanoke Rapids announces today details on Roanoke Rapids Land Use Ordinance and North Carolina Building Code compliance for swimming pool barriers.
"All swimming pools shall be completely surrounded by a fence or other barrier having a minimum height of four feet. When the sides of an above ground pool are used as the barrier, the ladder or steps shall be capable of being secured, locked or removed to prevent access; or the ladder or steps shall be surrounded by a barrier which meets these requirements."
A safety barrier is essential to reduce the number of drowning and serious immersion injuries of young children in swimming pools. Property and pool owners are responsible for ensuring safety barriers are maintained and that damaged fencing or barriers are fixed immediately.
The Planning & Development Department requests that all citizens take the steps necessary to provide a safe environment for swimmers of all ages.
For more information, contact Planning & Development Director Kelly Lasky or Code Enforcement Supervisor Brian Duhadaway at (252) 533-2844.
ZONING PERMIT REQUIRED FOR INSTALLATION OF FENCE OR WALL
Section 151-168 of the Roanoke Rapids Land Use Ordinance requires that prior to the installation of a fence or wall, the applicant shall obtain a Zoning Permit from the Office of Planning & Development in order to ensure proper location, setbacks, heights, sight clearances, etc. Please call the Planning & Development Department at (252) 533-2844 with any questions.
PUBLIC NOTICE REGARDING YARD SALES ON COMMERCIAL PROPERTY
The Planning & Development Department would like to remind the citizens of Roanoke Rapids that in order to conduct a yard sale on a commercial piece of property two items are required. An individual must have written permission from the property owner and obtain an itinerant merchant license from the City of Roanoke Rapids Tax Collector. The Office of the Tax Collector is located at 1040 Roanoke Avenue and is open between the hours of 8:30 a.m. and 5:00 p.m., Monday - Friday. If an individual does not have written permission from the property owner and an itinerant merchant license, they will be asked to leave the property immediately. Please contact the Planning & Development Department at (252) 533-2844 with any questions.
SPECIAL NOTICE REGARDING BUILDING PERMITS
Please be advised if anyone is doing work--commercial or residential--without being issued the proper permits from the Planning & Development Department, there is a penalty of $100.00 in addition to the required permit cost. Please contact the Planning & Development Department at 1040 Roanoke Avenue between the hours of 8:30 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. or call (252) 533-2844 with any questions.
COMMITTEE VACANCIES: Contact Lisa Vincent, City Clerk, at 533-2840 for committee information.
- Historic Preservation Advisory Committee
- Planning Board/Board of Adjustment (City & ETJ Member)
- Senior Center Advisory Committee
- Roanoke Canal Commission
- Beautification Committee