Let's Can Hunger
February is National Canned Food Month
The City of Roanoke Rapids is proud to sponsor a canned food drive during the month of February to assist Angel's Closet Ministry with feeding those in need.
The City will be collecting each Friday in February (February 6th, February 13th, February 20th and February 27th). If you would like to donate, please place items at the front door of your residence by 9:00 a.m. on these Fridays.
Suggested items to donate: canned food, diapers, winter coats.
We will also have donation drop-off locations at:
T. J. Davis Recreation Center @ 400 E. 6th Street
Chaloner Recreation Center @ 200 Dixie Street
Fire Station #1 @ 643 Roanoke Avenue
Fire Station #2 @ 638 NC Highway 125
Public Works Complex @ 1313 Hinson Street
City Hall/Police Department @ 1040 Roanoke Avenue
For more information, call (252) 533-2810.
REQUEST FOR PROPOSALS
Employee Benefits Consulting Services
Notice is hereby given that the City of Roanoke Rapids is requesting proposals for Employee Benefits Consulting Services.
The City of Roanoke Rapids will receive such proposals in the office of the Human Resources Manager and addressed to:
City of Roanoke Rapids
Kathy A. Kearney, Human Resources
1040 Roanoke Avenue
Roanoke Rapids, NC 27870
FOUR (4) COPIES OF THE PROPOSAL WILL BE RECEIVED UP TO THE HOUR OF 5:00 P.M. ON MONDAY, MARCH 9, 2015.
NOTICE OF PUBLIC HEARING
Roanoke Rapids City Council
Notice is hereby given that the Roanoke Rapids City Council will hold a public hearing on Tuesday, March 3, 2015 at 5:15 p.m. at the Lloyd Andrews City Meeting Hall located at 700 Jackson Street to hear the following items:
1. A rezoning request from Weaver Kirkland Housing, LLC (applicant) and M/K Properties LLC (property owner) to rezone 10+/- acres of property located between Georgia Avenue and E. 10th Street (at the terminus of W. Becker Drive extension) and north of the railroad track from R-8 Residential District to R-3 Residential District. The R-3 Residential District is designed to accommodate multi-family dwelling units such as duplexes, apartments and townhome development. The property is currently undeveloped, wooded land.
2. A rezoning request from State Employees' Credit Unit (applicant) and Roanoke Rapids City Board of Education (property owner) to rezone 4.50 acres of property located north of E. 10th Street, between Jefferson and Marshall Street, with approximately 860 feet of street frontage along E. 10th Street and 300 feet of street frontage along Jefferson Street, from R-6 Residential District to B-4 Commercial District. The 4.50 acre area of requested rezoning is a portion of a 23.51 acre tract (Halifax County Parcel 0900543). The property is currently vacant land and was previously developed as part of the Patterson Mill. The B-4 Commercial District is designed to accommodate the widest range of commercial uses.
3. A rezoning request from Flatiron Partners, LLC (applicant) and M/K Properties LLC (property owner) to rezone 6.13+/- acres of property located to the west of Smith Church Road, to the south of E. Littleton Road (Highway 158), and north of Vine Street from R-6 Residential District to B-3 Commercial District. The 6.13 acre area of requested rezoning is a portion of a 20.49 acre tract (Halifax County Parcel 0906083). The R-3 Commercial District is designed to accommodate a mixture of residential uses and commercial uses such as office, clerical, research services, which provide a transition from major highways and commercial areas to residential districts. The property is currently undeveloped, wooded land.
Related information is available for public inspection in the Planning and Development Office at the J. Reuben Daniel City Hall, 1040 Roanoke Avenue. Any persons, firms, organizations or corporations interested in these matters are urged to attend the meeting.
The City of Roanoke Rapids will provide reasonable accommodations and services for any qualified disabled person interested in attending the meeting. To request the above, you may call the City Clerk's Office at (252) 533-2840 no later than three (3) days prior to the date of the meeting.
City's Public Access Channel
The City's Public Access Channel on Charter is back up. It can be found on Channel 193.
NOTICE OF CHANGE IN REGULAR BUSINESS MEETING SCHEDULE FOR CITY COUNCIL MEETINGS
The regular business meeting schedule for the Roanoke Rapids City Council has been amended as follows:
City Council shall meet the first Tuesday of each month at 5:15 p.m. at the Lloyd Andrews City Meeting Hall at 700 Jackson Street.
City Council shall meet the third Tuesday of each month at 7:00 p.m. at the Lloyd Andrews City Meeting Hall at 700 Jackson Street.
Notice of any changes in meetings shall be posted on the primary bulletin board at City Hall.
CITY OF ROANOKE RAPIDS
By: Lisa B. Vincent, MMC City Clerk
PRESS RELEASE - RECYCLING CONTAINER
The City of Roanoke Rapids now has a recycling container at the Public Works facility located at 1313 Hinson Street. The public will have 24-hour access to this facility for combined recycable materials.
For more information, contact the Public Works Department at (252) 533-2846.
PRESS RELEASE - SWIMMING POOL BARRIERS
Given the recent changes in local weather conditions, the City of Roanoke Rapids announces today details on Roanoke Rapids Land Use Ordinance and North Carolina Building Code compliance for swimming pool barriers.
"All swimming pools shall be completely surrounded by a fence or other barrier having a minimum height of four feet. When the sides of an above ground pool are used as the barrier, the ladder or steps shall be capable of being secured, locked or removed to prevent access; or the ladder or steps shall be surrounded by a barrier which meets these requirements."
A safety barrier is essential to reduce the number of drowning and serious immersion injuries of young children in swimming pools. Property and pool owners are responsible for ensuring safety barriers are maintained and that damaged fencing or barriers are fixed immediately.
The Planning & Development Department requests that all citizens take the steps necessary to provide a safe environment for swimmers of all ages.
For more information, contact Planning & Development Director Kelly Lasky or Code Enforcement Supervisor Brian Duhadaway at (252) 533-2844.
CALENDAR OF UPCOMING MEETINGS
(All City meetings are open to the public)
Roanoke Rapids City Council
Tuesday, March 3, 2015 at 5:15 p.m. at Lloyd Andrews City Meeting Hall
Library Advisory Committee
Thursday, March 5, 2015 at 6:30 p.m. at Roanoke Rapids Public Library
ZONING PERMIT REQUIRED FOR INSTALLATION OF FENCE OR WALL
Section 151-168 of the Roanoke Rapids Land Use Ordinance requires that prior to the installation of a fence or wall, the applicant shall obtain a Zoning Permit from the Office of Planning & Development in order to ensure proper location, setbacks, heights, sight clearances, etc. Please call the Planning & Development Department at (252) 533-2844 with any questions.
PUBLIC NOTICE REGARDING YARD SALES ON COMMERCIAL PROPERTY
The Planning & Development Department would like to remind the citizens of Roanoke Rapids that in order to conduct a yard sale on a commercial piece of property two items are required. An individual must have written permission from the property owner and obtain an itinerant merchant license from the City of Roanoke Rapids Tax Collector. The Office of the Tax Collector is located at 1040 Roanoke Avenue and is open between the hours of 8:30 a.m. and 5:00 p.m., Monday - Friday. If an individual does not have written permission from the property owner and an itinerant merchant license, they will be asked to leave the property immediately. Please contact the Planning & Development Department at (252) 533-2844 with any questions.
SPECIAL NOTICE REGARDING BUILDING PERMITS
Please be advised if anyone is doing work--commercial or residential--without being issued the proper permits from the Planning & Development Department, there is a penalty of $100.00 in addition to the required permit cost. Please contact the Planning & Development Department at 1040 Roanoke Avenue between the hours of 8:30 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. or call (252) 533-2844 with any questions.
COMMITTEE VACANCIES: Contact Lisa Vincent, City Clerk, at 533-2840 for committee information.
- Historic Preservation Advisory Committee
- Planning Board/Board of Adjustment (ETJ Member)
- Senior Center Advisory Committee
- Recreation Advisory Committee